Source: New York Public Library Lunch Hour NYC Exhibition at NYPL through February 17, 2013 Arad, Brasov, Botosani, Bucharest, Cluj, Dorohoi, Falticeni, Iasi, Oradea, Piatra Neamt, Radauti, Roman, Satu Mare, Sibiu, Sighetu Marmatiei, Siret, Suceava, Targu Mures, Timisoara, Galati, Tecuci, Barlad, Tulcea Jewish Heritage Travel – A Guide to Eastern Europe. Jews settled here in the early 18th century, reaching a total population of about 10,000 before World War II. Most emigrated to Israel at the onset of the war, with only a few dozen remaining. Marchian 1The only remaining synagogue in the city and one of the oldest and most richly decorated in Moldova, the Great Synagogue of Botosani was built in 1834.During the 19th century, the town became the center of Reform Judaism under the leadership of Rabbi Aaron Chorin. The interior features lovely naïve representations of scenes of Jerusalem, biblical animals, and symbols representing the tribes of Israel.
Yet the theater is one of the few vestiges of what was once a large Jewish community in Romania, and one of the few professional Yiddish-language theaters left in Europe. Housed in the magnificently preserved Great Synagogue (1850) in the city's historically Jewish neighborhood, this museum traces the history of Romania's Jewish population. Ruined 40 years later by the Iron Guard, a nationalistic Fascist organization of the time, it was restored in 1951 with the support of Romania's Jewish community.
Bucharest is home to one of the oldest and most important Jewish communities in Romania. Around the beginning of the 17th century, during the Cossack uprising, the first Ashkenazi Jews came from Ukraine and Poland. The displays include a collection of books written, published, illustrated or translated by Romanian Jews; a small collection of paintings of and by Romanian Jews (many of the same artists' works hang in the National Museum of Art) and memorabilia from Jewish theaters, including the State Jewish Theater. Tache Ionescu 9 In a busy side street heading toward Piata Amzei from Magheru Bulevard stands the only other active synagogue in the city. Cluj has three Jewish cemeteries, located on Badescu, Turzii, and Somului strets. Tipografiei 25 Telephone: (264) 596.600 Only one of the two remaining synagogues is still in use in this little Moldovan town where Jews from Poland settled in the 17th century.
By 1832, ten holy houses had been established, their number increasing significantly before the end of the century. Today, the small remaining community is served by the only standing synagogue, the Great Synagogue, built in the 19th century on the site of the town's first synagogue from 1792. The newer one, with tombs dating from the 19th century, is located at the end of Brosteni Street, not far from the town center.
Almost every one had its own Rabbi and cult performers. The older cemetery, established in the 18th century and closed down during the 19th century, is located on nearby Victoriei Street. Barbulescu 5 Telephone: (230) 540.090 For more information please visit: the 19th century, Iasi was one of the great Eastern European centers of Jewish learning, famous for its scholarly rabbis, intellectuals and skilled craftsmen, as well as for its Jewish schools, hospitals, publications and various organizations.
A sacred brotherhood, a charity box and a prayer house were registered in 1715. The museum also contains a large collection of Jewish ritual objects from Romania, collected by Rabbi Moses Rosen (1912–1994), the late Chief Rabbi of Romanian Jewry. Sfanta Vineri 9 Tel: (21) 3 Built in 1867, this red brick temple is noted for its choir loft, organ and magnificent Moorish turrets. Built in the 1840s, its lush interior features Moorish details and an elaborate Aron ha-Kodesh, or Holy Ark. By the beginning of World War II, some 5,300 Jews were living here, with Hasidism becoming a major force. Spiru Haret 95 Telephone: (231) 611.797 For more information please visit: small industrial city was home to some 13 Jewish houses of worship and 4,000 Jews before World War II.
Some of the synagogues built during the 18th and 19th centuries also featured ritual baths (mikve). Services take place at Sabbath hour on Friday and Saturday evenings. On November 11, 1941, the majority of families were sent to labor camps in Transnistria. It was also the hometown of Moses Rosen, Romania's postwar Chief Rabbi.
During the 15th and 16th centuries, Polish Jewish merchants set up storehouses, trading posts, and eventually, permanent settlements.
During the region's domination by the Turks, the Romanian Jewish Community evolved into a prosperous middle class.
Little Romania in lower Manhattan was a neighborhood within a neighborhood, tucked into the blocks bound by East Houston Street, Allen Street, Grand Street, and the Bowery.
When the Romanian-born writer Marcus Ravage arrived in New York in 1900, he found the area thriving; restaurants had opened everywhere, he recalled in a memoir, and the first Romanian delicatessens were displaying "goose-" was the starting point for American pastrami.
Today, there are poignant reminders of Romania's Jewish heritage and roots.